Chandler Cardiology Associates now offering ECP Treatments in office
WHAT IS ECP?
Enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP) therapy is chest pain therapy approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It treats long-term chest pain or pressure (chronic stable angina) that doesn’t respond to other treatments. EECP therapy may also be recommended for some people who need a procedure to restore blood flow to their heart and aren’t eligible for surgery.
EECP therapy uses pressure to improve your blood flow. It’s a noninvasive, outpatient treatment. You typically receive the treatment over seven weeks.
This type of therapy can reduce your need for medication and increase your ability to be active without experiencing symptoms. Side effects are usually minor. Your healthcare provider can help determine if you are eligible for EECP treatment.
What is angina?
Angina is chest pain that happens because there isn’t enough blood going to part of your heart. It can feel like a heart attack with pressure or squeezing in your chest. It’s sometimes called angina pectoris or ischemic chest pain.
What does ECP do?
- Increases venous return
- Increases preload
- Increase diastolic filling pressure
- Creates retrograde arterial blood flow
- Increases coronary perfusion
- Increases systolic unloading
- Increases cardiac output
- Decreases vascular resistance
- Decreased cardiac workload
Requirements for ECP treatment are:
- Make an appointment with Dr. Shakoor by calling our office at 480-782-0101. We will need your insurance information at that time.
- We will review all medical history, discuss symptoms and perform some testing in office.
- A abdominal aortic aneurysm ultrasound (AAA) to be done, a six minute walk test performed in office and have a completed Seattle Angina Questionnaire filled out.
- We will then submit for a prior authorization and a certificate of medical necessity to your insurance company to verify benefits and coverage.
- ONCE ALL THE ABOVE HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND YOU HAVE BEEN CLEARED BY DR. SHAKOOR, THEN WE WILL SET-UP YOUR APPOINTMENT AND TIME WITH JENNIFER TO BEGIN YOUR TREATMENTS
SAFE, EASY AND EFFECTIVE
ECP is safe, easy, and effective. The therapy consists of 35 daily treatments lasting 1 hour per day for 7 weeks, Monday thru Friday. You will need to be fully committed to coming into the office everyday for one hour. You will need
ECP therapy is administered on an outpatient basis and requires no hospitalization.
- Can EECP remove blockage? Answer: This type of therapy can also encourage blood vessels to open new pathways for blood flow to your heart. These pathways eventually become “natural bypass” vessels that help relieve symptoms of angina if your coronary arteries are narrowed or blocked.
- When is EECP recommended? Answer: Medicare has approved coverage for EECP for patients with angina who have exhausted all their other choices. It is a surgery alternative, If you have had or are not a good candidate for bypass surgery or angioplasty. If medication does not provide angina relief, ECP can be a positive alternative to surgical procedures.